Saturday, March 31, 2012

Back to Blogging

Saturday morning. I'm thinking about all the blessings in my life, about LDS General Conference that will start in a couple of hours, about Easter coming up. Just read through my old posts: it's been almost a year. How time passes.

Last Easter Jared was here with his family. This Easter he won't. How we miss him. But we are thankful he was relatively well in spite of the brain tumor, up until the last couple of months of his life. He was able to do so much. He left his poor worn out body February 3.

I've been reading the gospels in preparation for Easter. I love to do that each year during lent. This year I've been a bit more haphazard, though, and here it is a week to Easter and I'm in Luke 5. I can do it though--I'll just read them like a novel, rather than just a chapter or two a day.

I used to read the gospels the "harmonized" way--all the parts about the Savior's birth together, then all the parts about his ministry, etc. Now I prefer reading each book separately, because I get more of a sense for the author of each book. I've come to love Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. They clearly loved the Savior. Each one made a great effort to tell the His story in a way that would help their readers to understand His greatness. Each one thought about his audience and what would be most convincing. Matthew thought about the Jews and included many scriptures; Luke wrote more to the gentiles, and included stories of Christ's great compassion. John highlighted the divinity of Christ throughout. They all labored over finding the best way to express things.

So I read them every year, and I'm thankful for their work that helps me to know the Savior and his mission better. And as I read at the end of each book the glorious story of Christ's resurrection, I am thankful to know that, though Jared isn't with us here, through Christ's great gift, Jared still is, he lives on, and we will all be together again one day. What a wonderful knowledge that is.



No comments:

Post a Comment